School and School House

Built in 1847 and greatly extended in 1861 by Baron Wharncliffe, the first Earl. Made of local stone with stone flagged roof, stone mullioned windows and buttresses. The exterior has hardly changed from 1861 except for the removal of the bell tower which was deemed unsafe. The school was closed at the end of 1992 and subsequently became houses.

Wortley Arms Hotel

Originally called Wharncliffe Arms the present building dates back to 18th century. The Sheffield Directory of 1861 states that Petty Sessions were held here on alternate Fridays and Cattle sales were held twice a year. Meetings of the Wortley Union were held here, formed in 1830 this was the first local government in the district.

Tower House

A small house with very small rooms standing at the north of the church tower. Tower House is visible from the footpath which runs down to Cote Green Farm at the bottom of Finkle Street. This building is thought to be the original School house dated around 1659 and could have been originally by the side of the road in 1750.

Tivydale Cottage

Thought to be the site of the oldest house in the village, it was rebuilt and modernised in 1983. The cottage stands to the North of the church on the path towards Tower House. It is said to have been the Headmasters house when Tower House was the school, circa 1600. William Nevison was the Headmaster and Chapel warden 1703 and 1706, he died 1723. This was also thought to be the birthplace of Highwayman, John Nevison.

The Old Vicarage and Vicarage Cottage

The Old Vicarage was Built 1880/1 in an acre of land. The costs of which were split between the York Diocese Extension Society and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The property features include large stone mullioned windows, gable ends and 2 storeys with a stone slate roof.

6 Halifax Road

Date stone 1840, but could be much older as it stands in a row of houses facing Halifax Road, the next house date over the doorway being 1786. It has a stone roof, gable end with porch, 2 storeys and stone mullioned windows. Thought to have been an Ale House or Inn and has an expansive cellar.

Northorpe Farm

Records show that a farm existed here on Wellhouse Lane in 1318. It was given by Nicholas de Wortley to William Calthorpe who was described as a Chaplain along with 47/6 a year.

Wellhouse Cottages

This is the site of a farm owned once by Francis Wood who in 1713 gave £40 secured on an estate called “Wellhouse in the Lordship of Wortley” The charity is still administered, giving a small amount annually for the poor of Wortley. This is known as the “Wellhouse Dole

Links and Further Information of Interest